Did You Know?
- During the annual Great Massachusetts Cleanup, polystyrene cups (commonly referred to as Styrofoam) consistently rank among the most common items collected
- Polystyrene does not decompose and will remain in the environment indefinitely
- There is no viable market or infrastructure for recycling polystyrene on a mass scale in Massachusetts
- Birds, fish, and other animals often mistake small pieces of polystyrene for food and ingest it
- Styrene has been shown to be an animal carcinogen and when heated (as with hot coffee) it can leach into your beverage