Community Volunteer Event at Hell's Half Acre, Cambridge
Join the Charles River Conservancy on Saturday, July 10th from 9:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m. at Hell’s Half Acre, Cambridge. Volunteers will help remove invasive plants, including black swallow-wort and glossy buckthorn.
Event Location/Meeting Spot:
We will be working in Hell’s Half Acre, Cambridge (5 Greenough Blvd, Cambridge, MA) Hell’s Half Acre is a large area, which will make for easy social distancing! Parking is available at 5 Greenough Blvd, and we will meet near the white and black Charles River Conservancy truck. Before we begin working, volunteers will be given a lesson on plant identification and proper plant removal techniques.
What to Bring/ Wear: The Charles River Conservancy will provide tools, work gloves, hand sanitizer, and antibacterial wipes to sterilize all tools pre and prior to use. If you prefer to bring and use your own tools from home, it might be a good idea to bring:
• Garden trowel
• Trash Pick
• Work Gloves
• Wear light-colored clothing (for tick prevention)
• Long sleeves shirt and pants
• Closed toes shoes
Event Safety Protocols:
These protocols were developed by the MA Department of Conservation and Recreation and the Charles River Conservancy.
• All volunteers will be required to wear a facemask.
• Reduced group sizes / staggered start times or multiple days for larger groups.
• All equipment, tools, and materials will be disinfected before and after use in accordance with CDC guidelines. Furthermore, participants should not share equipment, tools, or other materials.
• Alcohol-based sanitizer will be available for participants to use.
• Participants must adhere to social distancing guidelines and remain at least six feet away from others.
• Food and drinks should be brought from participants’ homes and not shared with individuals outside of one’s household.
Please register via the link below.