Apply for KMB's Next-Gen Environmental Leader Scholarship
Each year, Keep Massachusetts Beautiful awards a one-time annual $2,500 scholarship to a student who will be pursuing a degree in environmental studies or a related field at an accredited institution of higher learning.
The scholarship will be awarded to a student based upon their achievements and financial needs. The purpose of this scholarship is to support students who have demonstrated a commitment to environmental protection, environmental justice, or community service to improve the environmental health or sustainability of their community through engagement in one or more of the following activities:
- Participation in a high school Green Team, environmental club, local Keep Massachusetts Beautiful chapter, or volunteer engagement with another environmental nonprofit organization during their high school years
- Intention to pursue a degree in environmental sciences or a related field at an accredited college, university, or technical trade school
- A minimum of 40 hours of volunteer work completed over their junior and/or senior years of high school related to environmental protection, environmental justice, or community service to improve environmental health or sustainability programs in their community
Important Note: This scholarship opportunity is open only to students who attend high school in a community that supports a certified local KMB chapter. For 2023, this includes the following communities: Ashby, Ashburnham, Attleboro, Boylston, Canton, Charlton, Easton, Framingham, Gardner, Hyde Park, Mansfield, Melrose, Natick, Newton, North Attleboro, Plainville, Randolph, Rehoboth, Salem, Sherborn, Shrewsbury, Stoneham, Walpole, Weymouth, and Worcester.
Additional Eligibility Requirements:
- Any high school senior who will be pursuing a degree at a 2- or 4-year accredited college, university, or vocational school. Scholarship awards will be announced by August 31, 2023.
- Funds will be awarded by January 31, 2024, contingent upon proof of successful completion of a first semester of study and enrollment in a second semester.
Scholarship Application Requirements:
- A written recommendation from a High School guidance counselor or faculty member (email to: email@example.com)
- A written recommendation from one mentor, Club Advisor, or nonprofit supervisor (email to: firstname.lastname@example.org)
- An application essay of 500-1,000 words. Using the form below, please describe what motivated you to get involved in environmental protection, environmental justice, community service, or sustainability. Describe your role in a project or program in your school or local community and what you hope to accomplish in the future as a result of your educational degree.
The annual deadline for submitting a scholarship application is June 30. Please use the form below to submit your application.